How to Prepare Your Fireplace for Spring
- The first step in preparing your fireplace for spring is to remove any excess wood. Then, you will want to clean the fireplace. To do this, take out the ashes, clean out the trap, and wipe down the inside. The purpose to this is to keep ashes from making their way into your home during windy conditions or general home maintenance.
- After surface cleaning, you will need to fully close the damper of the fireplace. This will prevent drafts and animals from coming down the chimney.
- Optionally, you may want to hire a chimney cleaning company or chimney inspecting company to clean your chimney.
- For gas fireplaces, the first step in prepping it for spring is to clean any soot off to keep it clean throughout the warm seasons.
- You can also cut the gas supply to the fireplace to prevent any gas buildup in your home.